Health & Safety Protocols
District 34’s goal is to keep all students, in person, every day in the safest environment possible.
Effective February 28, 2022 masks are recommended but not required for all students, staff and visitors in District 34 buildings, with some exceptions when masks are required.
Masks will continue to be required in the following settings:
- Physical therapist, occupational therapist, social workers, psychologists, speech pathologists, and other staff members who provide what are called "related services" must wear masks when working with students.
The federal requirement to wear a mask in healthcare settings per OSHA (29 CFR Part 1910 Subpart U) means that masks must be worn in the infirmary and health office. (Masks will be available at the entrance to the infirmaries and health offices.)
- When a person who tests positive returns on day 6 must wear a mask on days 6-10; if not, they must continue to isolate for 10 days (returning on day 11).
Masks are optional on school buses starting Monday, February 28.
Each school building has a sufficient supply of surgical masks for students and staff who need them. In addition, KN95 masks are available for staff and students upon request.
Board Action: Masks Optional But Recommended Beginning Feb. 28, 2022.
On February 15, 2022, the Board of Education approved a resolution to update the District’s COVID mitigation plan to move to an environment that strongly recommends but does not require mask wearing in school buildings beginning Monday, February 28, 2022.
- Will masks be required on buses?
- Will masks be required in parts of the school and not others?
- Will distancing change now that schools are mask optional?
- Will quarantine protocols change?
- Do I need a mask to visit my child's school?
- What if there is a positive case at home, does my child need to stay home?
- If a student has COVID and returns on day 6, do they wear a mask?
- Can a teacher make sure my child remains masked/unmasked throughout the school day?
- Will students be separated based on mask status?
- If cases rise, will the District move back to mask required?
- Will masks be required for students and staff attending Wesley?
- If my child has a positive test, can they re-test and return to school if negative?
- If my child previously tested positive for COVID-19, can they participate in SHIELD testing?
- Will I have an opportunity to change my choice for SHIELD testing for my child at a later date?
- When will I receive my child's SHIELD Test Results?